Soave

Definition - What does Soave mean?

Soave is a white, dry wine from the Veneto region in Italy. It holds a DOC and DOCG status. Under DOC regulations, the wine must contain a minimum of 70% Garganega with the remaining made from Trebbiano di Soave.

For the DOCG Soave, the minimum requirement is 70% Garganega with the remaining 30% as a blend of Pinot Bianco, Trebbiano, Chardonnay, Cortese, Riesling and/or Friulano.

WineFrog explains Soave

Soave is a light-bodied white wine known for its complexity in its aroma and flavors. Some of its signature aromas and flavor characteristics are melon, orange peel, fresh peach, oregano and other herbs.

The tradition of making Soave dates back to Roman times and is considered one of the great white wines of Italy. The essence of terroir many of the wines carry are imparted by the volcanic soils the Garganega grape grows in.

The best wines come from the labels of Gavi, Frascati and Orvieto.

It pairs well with risotto with fruits from the sea, gnocchi and pesto, sautéed mussels and clams.

Share this:

Connect with us

Never Miss an Article!

Subscribe to our free newsletter now - The Best of WineFrog.