Minervois

Definition - What does Minervois mean?

Minervois is an AOC-ranked appellation located in western Languedoc. The main grapes grown here are Grenache, Syrah and Mouvedre, making up 60% of the blend and Carignan, Bourboulenc and Cinsault as the remaining 40%.

White wines are also made here from Vermentino, Marsanne, Roussanne and Grenache Blanc. They are known for making their Carignan wines via full or partial carbonic maceration.

WineFrog explains Minervois

Minervois was granted its AOC status in 1985 and since then the wines have gained praise internationally. The name of the appellation comes from the village just twenty-five miles away, Minerve, which was named after the Greek goddess Minerva.

Viniculture in this region dates back to pre-Roman times and the region itself dates back to 30,000 years.

Their production includes red wines, dry whites and rosé wines. There is also a local tradition of making a sweet white wine called Minervois Noble. It is made by picking grapes with noble rot or from grapes that have been manually dried following harvest.

Share this:

Connect with us

Never Miss an Article!

Subscribe to our free newsletter now - The Best of WineFrog.