Classification Systems

Many wines are governed by a classification system; whether it's France and it's Wine Official Classification of 1855 for Bordeaux or its strict Champagne regulations, most Old World European countries use classification systems to control the standards of their wines, although many New World regions do as well.

5 Classifications of Wine: Still, Sparkling & Fortified 5 Classifications of Wine: Still, Sparkling & Fortified 5 Classifications of Wine: Still, Sparkling & Fortified 5 Classifications of Wine: Still, Sparkling & Fortified

5 Classifications of Wine: Still, Sparkling & Fortified

Still Wine, Sparkling Wine, Fortified Wine, Brandy, Grappa and Vermouth are all styles of wine that differ based on their alcohol content...

What Is That on My Wine Label? AOC, DOC, IGT & IGP Explained What Is That on My Wine Label? AOC, DOC, IGT & IGP Explained What Is That on My Wine Label? AOC, DOC, IGT & IGP Explained What Is That on My Wine Label? AOC, DOC, IGT & IGP Explained

What Is That on My Wine Label? AOC, DOC, IGT & IGP Explained

Throughout the European Union, there are standards and classifications for certain traditional foods and wines. In France, this system is...

How Many Levels of Sweetness Are There in German Wines? How Many Levels of Sweetness Are There in German Wines? How Many Levels of Sweetness Are There in German Wines? How Many Levels of Sweetness Are There in German Wines?

How Many Levels of Sweetness Are There in German Wines?

Germany (and Austria) stand out among the other wine-producing countries and the wines are classified using a german wine classification in...

Albert J. Winkler & His Contributions to Viticulture Albert J. Winkler & His Contributions to Viticulture Albert J. Winkler & His Contributions to Viticulture Albert J. Winkler & His Contributions to Viticulture

Albert J. Winkler & His Contributions to Viticulture

Few can claim to have had as profound an impact on modern day viticulture as Albert J. Winkler. He was a horticulturist” and “the father of...

The Regulated Wines of South African Viticulture The Regulated Wines of South African Viticulture The Regulated Wines of South African Viticulture The Regulated Wines of South African Viticulture

The Regulated Wines of South African Viticulture

The wine of South Africa may be placed in the category of New World wines, however, this exotic country, found in the far expanses of the...